My old neighbors in Montana have really been having a hard time this last weekend. My dad was saying its the worst calving season they have had in 25 years. A town nearby was dealing with a wind chill of -68 degrees at night. That's beyond brrr! That's cold enough to freeze a baby's nose even before he has been born. Not being able to keep all the babies and mommas out of the cold is like throwing money in the wind.
But my Montana friends aren't the only ones dealing with the cold. Its a normal part of winter calving. Over the years we have all found things that help on those cold nights. We have our go to hot boxes or shelf ready ear warmers. We've learned when we need to bring a calf in or when to leave it with momma.
But don't just take my word for it. Here are a few other ranchers that have been out fighting the cold.
1. Calving in the Cold on PincherCreekVoice.com
2. Baby Calves Will be Here Soon on KansasCattleRanch.blogspot.com
3. Ranch Snow Day: Calving Heifers on AgricultureProud.com
4. Calving Shed on BeefMatters.org
5. No Maternal Instinct on JustARanchWife.com
6. Warming Baby Calves on TalesOfAKansasFarmMom.blogspot.com